Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Paper Casting Tutorial

Want to try a fun little technique on your cards and projects? Give paper casting a try.

The supplies you will need is your cuttlebug and an embossing folder or a stamp, a spray bottle with water in it, Glimmer Mist, and toilet paper (paper towel will work too).
First, tear off about 8 or 10 sheets of toilet paper depending how thick your toilet paper is and how thick you want your image and stack them.
Spritz the toilet paper on both sides until it is nice and damp, I kind of smoosh the layers so they stick together.
Place your toilet paper in your embossing folder like you would a piece of paper and run it through the Cuttlebug. Warning, when you run it through it will squeeze water out so you might want a towel handy to wipe it up. If you don't wish to use your Cuttlebug you can just take a stamp, have it so the image is facing you then push the toilet paper into the image, work around the edges of the image with your fingers but try not to tear it. Here is a piece that I ran through my Cuttlebug.
While the toilet paper is still damp pull the edges around the image with your fingers.
Now, you can let your paper casted image dry completely then spritz/color it later or you can spray it right away and then let it dry. You can color your image other ways too like chalks and I would think perfect pearls brushed over it would be really pretty too. Here's my image which I spritzed with a light pink spray.
Here is a flower I did with a stamp.
Now your image is ready to use. One thing I have found with these is a tape runner doesn't work very well, it just pulls away that one layer of toilet paper and a liquid adhesive just just absorbs into the paper casting so the easiest way to attach it is with something like brads or clips or even staples.

Here is a card I made using a bicycle stamp for my paper casted image which was sprayed with a dark blue mister.

If you give this technique a try I'd love to see what you make, just leave a link to it in the comments! I may do some more playing with this technique and show you some more finished products with my paper casted images.

10 comments:

Carole of Brum said...

Great technique, the end result looks so good and how cheap to make too! Thanks for sharing. CoB

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Can't wait to try this!!!! thanks for sharing

LORi said...

WOW Trudi!!! This is amazing!! thanks so mcuh for sharing!! Great Tut!!

Myrna Marcano said...

Great idea!
Thanks for sharing

Sheri Gilson said...

Very cool technique!! Thank you so much for putting this fab tutorial together!!

mindy gallagher said...

what a cool idea! thanks for sharing!

Pat Bowman said...

Thanks so much for this tutorial. Looks like fun and something I will have to try!

dj1952 said...

I can't wait to use this technique! I looks like handmade paper. I may trying to use some glitter, or pieces of flower petals. Hugs, dj1952

kim.mom said...

What a cool idea!!! Can't wait to try it!

Monica said...

Thank you, this was so helpful.