Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Project Thursday: Picture Frame Pin Cushions



I recently put together a few of these cute little Pin Cushions.  

They are made from decorative acrylic picture frames that I found in the dollar bin at Michaels.


I loved the happy colors and ornate design, but wanted to do something more interesting than just framing pictures.


I twisted off the stand up easel portion from the back of one of the frames (you will see later why).


To make the foundation of the pin cushion - I used the paper insert shape from each of the frames and traced onto a piece of chip board, and cut them slightly smaller to allow room for the fabric wrap around.


Now comes the FUN part.

Picking through my fabric scraps to find the perfect match.


Should I use tonal colors that match the frame color?

 

Or go Bold with something Bright?


 Maybe a little of each?


I used layers of cotton batting to "stuff" the pin cushion.  Each layer is cut slightly smaller than the chip board base shape.  


Once the fabric is wrapped around the batting, I then used the very sophisticated  method of taping the fabric on the back of the chipboard base.  

After the fabric is taped on all sides, its easy to slip it into the picture frame.


I added some Hot Glue to the back seal of the picture frame opening to keep it all secure.  


For This frame I kept the back Stand Up Easel in place. 


On the other frame - I added 4 chunky acrylic beads to the bottom (remember I pulled off the stand up easel from the back).  

The beads were Hot glued to each of the corners like little Feet.


 Now I have a few sweet colorful Cushions to keep my sewing pins in place.



Thanks for reading along...



6 comments:

Sheri Gilson said...

Awesome idea, Karina! I love the fun colors those frames come in. Can't wait to give it a try!

Bonnie said...

Very cool! Great little gifts too!

Nance said...

These are wonderful, Karina!

GeminiJen said...

My gosh!! Those are FABULOUS. May have to make some for my sewing friends for Christmas.
Thanks...

Debbie Adams said...

This is a fab idea. I have a couple of these little frames from Michaels. Enjoyed your tutorial too. :D

WKoło_UX said...

such a great idea! :D