Pages

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Project Thursday: Holiday Planner

The past few years I have made a very simple version of a Holiday Planner to keep myself (and our family) organized.


They were made from store bought spiral notebooks divided into sections with a tabs and a few embellishments. 


This year I wanted to make something that better suited our needs.  

Not only a place to keep everything noted and organized, but also a way to document our lives and activities throughout the Holidays.    


 I used the Bella BLVD Christmas Cheer Line of papers and embellishments.   

I started with lined notebook filler paper (5 1/2" X 8 1/2") since I wanted to have lots of plain paper pages for notes and planning.  


I cut off the punched holes (so I could bind the finished book myself).  Each of the section dividers were cut from double sided paper to a matching size (5 1/4" X 8 1/2").  The back cover is made from chip board covered with paper.  


The front cover is made of several layers stitched together with ribbon, string and button embellishments.  Because I will carry this book around with me everywhere for the next 6 weeks, I was sure to use lots of adhesive to keep everything in place. 

 

The inside of the front cover has a pocket stitched in place.  


My favorite things about this planner are all the different tabs, although I may regret that decision in a few weeks if they end up getting torn and tattered (from being carried around).

I added 9 sections to our Holiday Planner each one with a different Tab:


 SECTION #1:  GIFTS


An envelope added to this section will keep Gift Receipts together.  I'll probably add a closure and a label to dress up the envelope a bit. 


In addition to the lined paper behind each section - I created some colorful graphic pages.


Keeping track of Gift Ideas and Gifts Received (OOPS - just noticed a spelling error).


SECTION #2:  CARDS



Another graphic page I created to organize all the details of getting Holiday Cards mailed. 

I'm hoping this will actually help me get ours out and mailed on time this year. 



The back of the Cards section includes a glassine envelope.  I added washi tape to the edge to make it more durable when bound into the book.  This is where I will tuck those torn corners of envelopes with return addresses that need updated in our master list.  


SECTION #3:  DECORATE 
(it was supposed to read DECORATING but I ran out of space)


SECTION #4:  FUN


The envelopes work well to hold small items - I added one in this section for tickets and invitations.


Another graphic page with our Holiday Bucket List.  We can add stickers (or sequins) to notate what we do instead of "crossing" them off the list.  


SECTION #5:  GIVING

Somehow this tabbed page didn't make it into the wire binding (another OOPS).   I thought a 3/4" size binding wire would be big enough, but since I'll be adding things into the book - it looks like I need a bigger size.  I'll fix this tab when I replace the binding, so there is plenty of room to for pictures and memento.
 

SECTION #6:  ENTERTAINING


SECTION #7:  TO DO

I'm a big list maker, so this section has lots of lined paper for grocery lists, shopping lists and all the other Holiday To Do's.


SECTION #8:  SANTA


There is another envelope - this one is for the letter to Santa (you are never too old to believe).  

I included plain white cardstock pages throughout the book.  Perfect for drawings and pictures.  


SECTION #9:  NEXT YEAR NOTES

This is the place to write reminders of what needs done for next year.  Things to buy.  Gift ideas.  What worked.  What didn't.   
 

Sometimes, a picture is worth a thousand words...so I include a few pictures to remind me how my favorite decorations were arranged.  Slipped inside another glassine envelope.  

I am so excited to have finished our Holiday Planner and can't wait to start using it.

Thanks for reading along...



8 comments:

Michelle B. said...

Absolutely awesome! I love everything you have done here, what a cool idea and it all looks so fab!

Sheri Gilson said...

This is a totally AWESOME project, Karina!! Gives me an excuse to finally pull out and use my bind it all that I had to have. Thanks so much for putting this together for us!! 🎄

Migdalia said...

WOW!! They are just Beautiful!!
Have a wonderful day,
Migdalia
*Crafting With Creative M*

KimCreate said...

What a beautiful notebook! That paper is the adorable and I like your different sections. Just gorgeous!

Nancy said...

This is an incredible book and an incredible amount of work! Great job and thanks for the inspiration...I think I am going to make one for each of my family members!

Danielle Vincent said...

I absolutely LOVE this project and think I would use it a lot. Great idea. Thanks so much.

Sharla said...

That is the cutest little notebook I've seen!! Love all the papers and fun envelope pockets...totally fun!!

Lori Turner said...

Omgosh, Karina!! This is fantastic!! LOVE it!!