Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

DIY Giant Glitter Brads

I recently bought some blingy, glittery brads... 4 packs, and I'm sure I could have bought more. I WANTED EVERY COLOR!!! I started looking at the glittery ones & thought, "I could make that!". So I did.... and here's how I did it! You can click on any of the images to get a closer look!

SUPPLIES
Build-a-Brads from Stampin' Up!
Crystal Effects from Stampin' Up!
Any color glitter you like!

Step One -

As you can see the edges of the bare brad are raised a bit, so put a few dots of
Crystal Effects onto the head of the brad & spread it around until it covers
the top in a thin layer. I stuck my brad into a leftover piece of rubber so I
wouldn't have to hold it. I also made sure it was as level as possible. That's important later... you could poke yours through the top of a paper cup or something...

Step Two -
Apply glitter generously to the brad right after step one, before it dries. Now's when you'll be glad you propped your brad up. Let it dry for a while before moving on. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes.

Step Three-
Once it's not tacky any longer, squirt on some more Crystal Effects, and using the tip of the applicator, spread it around fairly evenly. The cool thing about this stuff is that it dries clear, and also adheres to itself.... so it will "help" you by spreading itself out as it dries... that's why it's important for the brad to be level.

Step Four-
Again apply a good layer of glitter before it dries... then let it dry for another 15 minutes.

Step Five-

Okay, this is the last time you'll apply Crystal Effects. Again, put a few drops on & spread it around... and then maybe even a few more! Make sure it thickly covers all the glitter. Remember, it will dry clear. Let it dry completely. I let mine sit for an hour or so...

You're done! If you look closely in the above picture, you can see how the top of the brad is rounded... another cool thing that Crystal Effects does!


I hope you get a chance to make some of these...





(This post was originally published on my blog on 11.17.09)

8 comments:

Sara Strand said...

This is very cool. :)

Angela Toucan said...

oh wow! now to find some of that crystal effects stuff

Sheri Gilson said...

Very cool tut!! Thanks Arielle!!

Maria Elena said...

Great Tutorial, thanks for share with us.
Have a great Monday!
http://mariaelenaworld.blogspot.com/

Precious Memories Scrapbooking & More said...

Awesome thanks for sharing. Always looking for frugal ideas - tight on cash these days, no extra in budget for crafties!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Thank You! What a great idea, I have some of those left but just the brads parts, very cool!

Jess said...

What a FANTASTIC tip! I've gotta try that!

Silvia said...

Awesome tutorial, Arielle! Thanks for sharing it.